A home without books is a body without soul. - Cicero

2.09.2011

The birthday week...


Three weeks old, on a Grandma-made quilt
My girl is almost seven. We celebrated at dinner tonight, at Carrabba's, where she wore a glittery tiara and a beautiful pink dress that looked entirely too grown up. In some ways, I can't remember life before she came along. Maybe that's because life didn't really start until she was here.

The clearest memory I have - and I hope it remains this clear for the rest of my life - was when the midwife placed her on my stomach right after she was born. I think the umbilical cord still connected us. There she was, with a cap of black hair and clear blue eyes. I know they say that newborn babies can only see a couple of inches in front of them, but her eyes met mine, and in that moment, something tangible passed between us. I knew that she recognized me as her mama, and I knew that she knew she had my mind, heart, and soul, and always would.

The last almost-seven years haven't always been smooth, and have challenged me in ways I never imagined, but I wouldn't trade a single second of it for all the money in the world.
I know, kid. I can't believe it either.

1 comment:

  1. Children have a way of cutting through all of the fog of everything that is nonessential in life. Often times it is things that we thought are so crucial to our survival that it is inconceivable to even consider doing without that keeps us from seeing the beauty that has been placed directly in our laps. Being a parent, a *real* parent is one of the most challenging jobs one will come across. However, as you look at the chasm of difficulties you face, look to your own parents as a model of how to deal with your daughter. They are willing to give up all they have for you, and I know that you have learned well from them. You have despite your tribulations put your little girl first and found a safe place for her. Life isn't always easy but it can be the most rewarding thing you could ever imagine. Happy birthday to your little girl and happy independence day to you and your awesome purple bathroom.

    ReplyDelete